Saturday, March 21, 2009

Supercalifragilisticexpialidociousness

Last night, I cashed in on my final Christmas gift from Nate.  We went to see the Mary Poppins musical that has just started its run in Chicago.  After a yummy dinner at 312, we popped over to the Cadillac Palace Theater and settled in for a night of great entertainment.  
I have always loved the movie version of Mary Poppins - it's my go-to make-me-feel-better-when-I'm-sick movie - and I was interested to see how it would be adapted to the stage.  Understandably, there were no cartoon penguins or runaway carousel horses.  But there were great special effects, including, of course, a fair amount of flying and other moves involving cords.  My favorite part was actually the sets; each different set of scenery was in a different artistic style, and by far the best one was the house, which opened up like a doll house to reveal the insides of 17 Cherry Tree Lane.  By the end of the first half, I was not convinced that the new songs written for the musical deserved to be on the same stage as those adapted from the movie, but Nate argued that "Practically Perfect in Every Way" was really quite catchy, and I thought the finale, "Anything Can Happen if You Let It" was great.  "Feed the Birds" is still my favorite though, and I felt the parts they added to "Step In Time" made it a lot more singable.  
It would have been there perfect night if the kid, I'm sorry teenager, sitting across the aisle from me hadn't thrown up in the beginning of the 2nd half.  I guess we all need a nanny every once in a while, but I think that's the kind of thing Mary Poppins would not have stood for.  

No comments:

Post a Comment