Sunday, March 15, 2009

Colgate Day/ St. Patty's Day double header

What is the most romantic day of the year?  If you said Valentine's Day, you would be wrong, apparently!  My friends and I celebrated Colgate Day by congratulating our friends Mike and Emily on their engagement, which we all managed to keep as a secret from Emily, even though it was pretty much all we could talk about for the whole week.  We staked out a spot at one of our favorite bars, Sheffields, to have a few drinks and dinner in honor of Colgate Day, and once Mike and Emily had finished with their celebratory dinner, they and their families joined us at Sheffield's for lots of hugs and oohing and ahhing over the ring. (The picture to above is the happy couple, at my Christmas Party last year.)  But we couldn't stay out very late on Friday . . .
We were up early Saturday morning (some of us earlier than others - Jenny got up to make a yummy green cake) to head downtown to our friends Jon and Karla's apartment to celebrate Chicago St. Patty's day under the pretense of being able to see the river getting dyed green from their apartment, though none of us bothered to go out on the balcony to look.  We were too busy consuming bloody marys, Irish coffees, and lots of bagels and enjoying each other's company.  
Nate and I made sure to pace ourselves, though, because we had a long day ahead of us.  We headed over to Navy Pier in the afternoon to see Watchmen at the IMAX theater, then walked down the Lake Shore Path toward the Symphony, stopping along the way for me to take some touristy pictures of my favorite city.  We enjoyed dinner at the Millenium Park Grille and the day was capped off with a wonderful concert of Beethoven's fifth piano concerto and fifth symphony.  
We have a much more relaxed Sunday planned, although I do need to go do some fabric shopping with Jenny . . . 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you like the fabrics I picked for you :) After I sent it I had a little panic, thinking "Oh no, she teaches music so I bet she's tired of music print stuff!" haha, but then I figured you could fit it in lots of different things, since it has several different black and white patterns.
    I really like the fabric you sent me! I'm trying to decide if I want to make a purse or a green-themed quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, the Chicago postcard was totally cute! It's on my refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete