Sunday, March 29, 2009

Early spring snow in Chicago

This morning, Nate and I woke to find our neighborhood covered in this familiar fluffy white stuff.  As tempting as it was to just sit at home and watch episodes of 'The Wire' on demand, we ventured downtown to the Art Institute to see the exhibit of Yousuf Karsh photography.  It was a very pleasant use of a Sunday morning.  While we were at the Art Institute, we said hello to the lions, who seemed less than amused by our freak snowstorm . . .
and while I was in the bathroom at the museum, I found this little piece of art, which proclaimed "Happy Spring" on the back, along with a little note saying it was, indeed, "found art" so I didn't have to feel bad about taking it home with me.

 


Also downtown, the tulips on State Street are getting ready to pop - hopefully this snow won't make them think twice!   We had a few other errands to run;  we found a great suit for Nate to wear to a few upcoming weddings, then went to a bookstore so that I could get a book about origami.

 
My plan for our upcoming Easter Brunch, which Nate and I are hosting for the 3rd year in a row, is to make some origami easter "baskets" for a few party favors.  It has been a while since I've done origami, so I found it best to start with a few beginner's projects.  The first was a little hat for my stuffed hippo, Sammy.  He wore it all afternoon.  

After a few prototypes, I have more or less figured out how to make this - the book calls it a Dresden Bowl, and it reminds me of a cootie catcher, thought it is a lot more complicated to make!  I've put together 6, and so far they're proving to be cheaper than what I've bought in years past (though mentally taxing), as well as a great use of the scrapbook paper that I am constantly buying with no specific plans to make a scrapbook!  

No comments:

Post a Comment