Monday, March 23, 2009

skirting the waistband issue

So, I believe I've said before that I do not like to follow instructions. If something is easy, I like to make it harder, and if it's already hard, well then I guess I'm in trouble.
Anyway, I got it in my head a while ago that I wanted to make myself a new wrap skirt, but of course instead of making one skirt, while I'm putting the work in, I might as well make it double-sided so I'll have 2. The actual sewing of the skirt, in this case, is not that hard, and cutting out 2 times as much fabric is just a fraction more work. But making the waistband was harder, since with a one-sided skirt you can just leave your stitches hanging out willy-nilly, but with a 2 sided skirt you have to hide your messes!
I forgot to mention that most of my Saturday was spent cutting out fabric, putting together this skirt, then freaking out over how I'm going to make this waistband. Since it is a slightly circular skirt, just making a simple bias binding waistband seemed out of the question because the curve of the skirt might make the straight waistband fabric bunchy. I more or less made a mountain out of a molehill and on Sunday Jenny helped me realize that a bias binding was the best way to go. Even better, I decided to try the pre-cut and creased binding available at JoAnn's and was so happy with the results.  The blue fabric is an Amy Butler Daisy Chain pattern and the pink is a Heather Bailey Pop Garden pattern. And I've got plenty of fabric left over!

1 comment:

  1. good thing you have that jenny girl around ;)

    just kidding, it looks AMAZING!!! and i like the length :-)

    ReplyDelete