Saturday, March 7, 2009

Basted, quilted, and bound!

My midwest modern quilt has been sitting on a chair in the living room, calling to me, for the better part of a month.  I had all the layers finished, and the binding ready to go, I just needed that final push to get it all done!
Thursday afternoon I set to work and basted, basted, basted.  Luckily, I have enough floor space to lay the quilt out completely flat, or else this would have been a serious mess!  
I used Bamboo cotton batting, as suggested in the quilt instructions.  I liked the weight and the texture of the batting, but I found that it would stretch when I pull it, but wouldn't bounce back, which meant that my quilt was a little doomed.  It was impossible to get all of the layers 100% flat. 
I nevertheless went ahead with the quilting - just some simple, 
straight, diagonal lines, spaced evenly with the quilt blocks.  I was pretty pleased with the top side of the quilt (and no, I'm not showing you the back).
Friday afternoon was binding time, and I used the method I though up when working on my Midwest Modern placemats.  I was again very happy with the results and look forward to many more finished quilts - I have a few more on the way!


1 comment: