Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Colgate Reunion 2009

Nate the Great and I had an epic weekend back at Colgate, for my 5 year reunion.  It's hard to believe it's been 5 years, but I won't dwell on that . . . 
Lots of drinking and talking in the tents down on good old Whitnall field, and Friday Night was marked with Torchlight - a true Colgate tradition where all of the alums (or, at graduation, all of the graduates) walk down the hill each carrying a torch.  It is a really beautiful tradition.
This year was not only my reunion year, but also the Swinging Gates reunion - the 35th anniversary of the group's founding.  My a cappella group was well represented by singing ladies from all different eras.  We had singing in the tents all weekend, as well as a big concert on Saturday night. 
I was reunited with all of the Alto 2's (my voice part) from my year - we had 4 in our class which was a lot - and it was so good to see each of them.  They are all as silly and beautiful as I remember them (the picture, left, is from our senior concert 5 years ago - and we had to get it recreated, below, after the concert this year).  
Our group went on first at the concert, but Nate the Great stuck around until the bitter end, and he was glad that he did.  The most senior of the Gates really put on a great show.  I love those old songs, and I hope that as the group's alumnae become more connected, as they made plans to do at reunion, I might get to learn to sing "Red Sails in the Sunset" and "A Pitchpipe, A Song, and A Smile"  (to name a few).  I got to sing "White Flag" which was my senior song, and it really meant a lot to me to have the younger girls, including the current Swinging Gates, singing it with me.
I was also glad to spend SOME time with my class and hear how well everyone is doing and see how great everyone looks.  Walking up that hill again really brought it all back, but then again I never have felt that far away from Colgate, even though I've been out here in Chicago for longer than I was at my beloved Alma Mater.  
I'm glad that Nate the Great is an '05 - I can't wait to go back next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment