Friday, June 26, 2009

Thursday afternoon at the ballpark

Yesterday I had 2 firsts: my first birthday present of the year (some have arrived in the mail, but I'm saving those to open on Sunday) and my first game at U.S.Cellular (White Sox) Field. Nate's friend Bob, being a Dodger's fan, was dying to go to the game (ok I may be over-dramatizing) and since I was free, he offered to treat me to my first White Sox game. So we took the red line train farther south than I ever have before and got off at 35th Street.
Our seats, cleverly in the shade (my pale skin thanks you Bob), were behind home plate, which is a good view overall, but a poor spot to tell if a ball is really going to leave the ballpark - pretty much every fly ball looks like it'll be a home run. But we could see into the dugout, although we were quite high up and I'm not too familiar with the players. . .
I do know who Paul Konerko is, and he had a home run (I remember this because I scored the game - I'm nerdy like that). Whenever a White Sox player hits a home run they set off fireworks. Not too impressive in the daytime, but it still makes noise, so hey, all in all not too bad. It is a very different experience, I must say, than going to a game at Wrigley Field. Yes, the park is still relatively new and nice, and there are more food options than at Wrigley (thanks to Bob, I have now had a churro) but the experience all seems so much more manufactured than a game at Wrigley. The jumbo screen and loudspeakers keep urging me to "clap your hands!" and telling me to chant "Paul-eee" when Konerko comes up to bat. Maybe on a weekend, when the game is sold out, these things catch on and are more impressive, but on a weekday afternoon, when the stadium is less than half full, it just seems anti-climactic. True, I've been spoiled by the energy at Wrigley, but it is all very natural and organic - people decide to chant because they want to, not because a television monitor tells them.
On our way out, I had to stop and get a picture of the city. This view from the south is one that I rarely see. And any view of the [Sears] tower makes me fluttery.

No comments:

Post a Comment