Saturday, June 13, 2009

Recitals and Post-its.

I meant to write this a week ago, but I always feel bad when I don't have a picture to put with a posting.  Oh well, words will have to suffice this time too!
Last Saturday, my student piano recital went very well.  16 kids played, as did I, and everyone emerged smiling and looking forward to the next recital.  One of my students was a little more nervous than usual - actually, he was shaking he was so nervous.  I gave him a chance to get through the piece on his own, then I finally went up to him, put my hand on his back just to give him a little stability, and pointed out a good starting point in the middle of the piece; from there on out he played very well.  In the next lesson I told him that that happens to a lot of people, including yours truly.  One time in college, I remember my leg shaking so badly, I was afraid that it would make the whole piano shake when I went to use the pedal!
I made some sugar cookies to serve after the recital and some of the parents brought cookies and juice as well.  The cookies I made I really like - they're a recipe from a Colonial Williamsburg cookbook that I got a little while ago from my Aunt Mommy (you know who you are - and if I remembered it wrong and it was actually from my mom, oh well!) but instead of using orange zest I used lime zest and pressed them with some green sugar I bought around Easter.  They were a hit!
On the way back to the car, Nate the Great said "there's a post-it note on the car!"  and indeed there was.  Over my First Cavalry magnet (showing support for my step-brother who is currently serving with the 1st Cav in Iraq) was a note which I have up by my desk now: "First Team All The Way!!  I served with B-Co-8th Engr. Bn 12-Bravo, Vietnam '69-'70.  John S."  Thanks for the note, John S. of Park Ridge, IL.  

2 comments:

  1. the post-it note made me tear up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookbook was probably GiGi's and I think you got it from your mother, not me, your Madre Zia.

    ReplyDelete