Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Lasagne Night

Today is a bit of a strange anniversary, of sorts, for me.  I realized as I was cooking my dinner that it's been 8 months since I broke up with my long-time boyfriend.  I've heard people say before that it's important to be single for a while and I wholeheartedly agree.  In the time that I've been single, I've learned a lot about myself, mainly: what I want to do, eat, watch on tv, etc., when I don't have to think about whether someone else will agree with me.  While this has resulted in some pretty bad tv and netflix choices (I will admit, but not mention actual titles!) it's also given me a chance to be extremely productive, like with all the cross-stitch Christmas gifts I did last fall, and a lot of schoolwork that I otherwise might not have made time for.
            But time alone also makes you realize a few things you miss about being in a couple.  Tonight, that thing was eating lasagne.  Lasagne was one of my ex's favorite dinners, and there are a lot of reasons why I like to make it too.  It's a whole meal, really, in one dish (I put lots of veggies in).  I love baking my dinner - and being able to get all the dishes clean before you actually eat your food.  It's a real comfort food.  And finally, it makes excellent leftovers.
            A few years ago I bought a Le Creuset dutch oven and was almost convinced to buy one of the cutest dishes ever: their Pate Terrine, 1 1/2 quart, which the saleslady told me is perfect for "lasagne for 2."  Well, these days I'm more in the market for lasagne for 1, I guess, although I still want those amazing leftovers.
            So tonight, I made 1/2 recipe of my favorite lasagne, with ground turkey and I minced some zucchini to add in with my usual spinach.  I used my favorite pyrex brownie pan and Barilla no-bake lasagne noodles (a shortcut worth taking).  Here is my single-lady lasagne, in all its glory, both before, and after, baking.
              And, while it was in the oven, I got to play piano.  These days, Mendelssohn has been my preference.  Here's one of my favorite Song Without Words, played (a little better than I do) by Daniel Barenboim.

No comments:

Post a Comment