Thursday, June 30, 2011

Something to remember my students by

Over the past few weeks, I've said goodbye to all of my students.  Some of them were among my first students, when I started teaching, so it was tough to say goodbye, and interesting to think how much they had all grown in the time that I knew them.
One family, a brother and a sister, had been taking lessons with me for 6 and 3 years, respectively.  I've grown very close with both kids, and the mom, and I loved that in our last lesson, they each gave me a personal note.  The kids are pretty creative (I'm sure due in part to the mom's creativity!) and had made me some pottery.  Here is the boy's vase that he gave me, which has the circle of fifths etched into it, so I would never forget my music theory, he said.
Another family, with 3 little girls, I've known since the oldest started taking lessons almost 6 years ago.  Over that time, each girl started to take lessons with me, and the youngest likes to draw pictures for me quite often.  Here is one she gave me in a lesson just a few weeks ago, which I think is so precious that I might frame it and put it up above my piano.
This other picture, which they gave me as a going-away gift, was taken at our final recital a few weeks ago.  I think it's a really sweet gift, and this one I have already put up on my wall.  It's funny to see that the oldest girl is now taller than I am, because when she started taking lessons with me, she was smaller than her youngest sister.

It's the end of a long era, but hopefully the beginning of something equally great.

No comments:

Post a Comment