Wednesday, June 29, 2011

So many quilts

About 5 1/2 years ago, my paternal grandmother passed away.  She was known among her friends and family as a great traveler.  She loved to eat out.  And she had the best, most interesting clothes.  She also never liked to throw anything away that could possibly have another use someday.
Keeping these last few things in mind, when I helped to clean out her closet, I kept most of her funkiest clothes and brought them back to Chicago with me, where I cut and sewed, very sporadically, for the next 5 years.  The results were 6 quilts, for my sister and 5 cousins, each made up of about 90% of Bunny's (that's what we called her) clothes, and supplemented with a few fabrics I think she would have liked.
Figuring I should really get these done before I start grad school in the fall, I set to work throughout June and finished off all the quilts for my cousins (I finished my sister's quilt in time to give it to her for Christmas this past year).  Here they are, in all their glory, now having been sent off to each cousin:
Shari's quilt

Jenny's quilt

Chip's quilt

Josh's quilt

Gabe's quilt
The thing that I really like about making quilts for people, other than getting the chance to be creative, is that while I'm working on it, I think a lot about the people I'm giving it to, and, in this situation, I thought a lot about my grandmother.  I think she would be proud to know that we're all able to remember her in this very tangible way.

No comments:

Post a Comment