Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Man Who Ate EverythingThe Man Who Ate Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


In definite contrast to the Ruth Reichl book that my "Food Lovers Book Club" read last, this book was (I hate to say it) not so enjoyable, but it made up for the missing fun with a lot of information. Steingarten clearly loves food, although his writing shows his love more from a scientific aspect than a gastronomic aspect. I think that Reichl's book allowed me to be in the restaurant with her so often, enjoying the dishes with her, whereas Steingarten keeps me in the kitchen (or the factor he is touring, etc.) The recipes are all interesting, though a bit daunting. I was often inspired to get into the kitchen myself (especially after reading his opening essay on perfecting the bread recipe) but rarely felt daring or patient enough to actually try his recipes.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment