Thursday, September 2, 2010

a match made in Old Town

My high school friend, Jon, set me up on a blind friend date with a girl he met after college.  She moved to Chicago back in November and he thought we might get along, so we played email-tag for a while, and finally managed to set a date for lunch today.
            Mariann and I met in Old Town, which I have visited at times (The Spice House is one of my favorite spots to get hostess gifts for people, when I'm visiting homes outside of Chicago) and checked out some places new to both of us.  We had a nice sandwich for lunch at 33 Club.  We didn't save room, per se, but managed to fit in a cupcake after lunch at The Twisted Baker.  (I saw a sign there that they sell their frosting by the pound for $5.  Must keep that in mind!)
            After we had gorged ourselves thoroughly, we wandered north on Wells St. and found some great little shops.  I was tempted by many cards and things at Greer, and really almost bought the flower pin (pictured) which I may end up going back and buying someday.  I ended up leaving with some good ideas for upcoming crafts - including stationary with fabric.  Hard to describe well, but you know if I make it someday, I'll post pictures.  We also looked in at Fabrice, which was a neat little store having a crazy sale on everything.  It's hard to believe I came back home with no new stuff.
            Overall, it was a nice way to spend one of my final summer Thursday afternoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment