Friday, January 29, 2010

Ginkgo Pillow

When Nate and I went to Philadelphia back in October, we spent some time at the Fabric Workshop and Museum.  At the museum store there, I found this ginkgo fabric and instantly thought of my friend Shailer. She got married this past summer and I made that Amy Butler Midwest Modern quilt for her.
            Shailer's wedding theme was "lovebirds," but originally she had planned for it to be "ginkgo."  I happily bought a yard of this fabric so that I could make a pillow for her birthday, coming up in February.
            I thought that the sage color would go with some of the leftover quilt fabrics, but it didn't.  Then I brought a swatch of the gingko fabric to JoAnn's and couldn't find a single fabric that looked good with this stuff!  Desperate to put my own mark on this project, I finally decided to embroider some of the leaves with "veins."  It's only my second attempt - that I haven't thrown out - at embroidery.  And this is my first attempt at making a pillowcase.  The zipper was a little . . . frustrating.  But I persevered!

No comments:

Post a Comment