Monday, May 11, 2009

Spring Planting

This year, for the first year, Nate and I were able to go plant shopping together.  Nate is not your average guy - he knows a thing or two about plants because he worked at a nursery for one summer, just after we started dating.  This means that I trust him to help me plant the stuff in pots, but it's still more or less my word on our planting choices.  
We set off to Gethsemane Garden Center late Saturday morning and made our selections.  We picked out some of my old favorites: calibrachoa, marguerite daisies, gerbera daisies and geraniums.  We also got some new (to me) flowers: salvia, dahlias, mexican heather, bacopa and some others.  I still need to buy some morning glories, or some other climbing plant, to go on my trellis; hopefully I'll get around to that later this week.  
After a hearty lunch supplied by the Burger King drive-thru, we set to work, planting planting planting.  I gave a lot of thought to what plants should go in the same pot - height and color-wise.  All of my flowers this year are in the white and purple families, except for the gerber daisies which are light pink. It's been a cloudy couple of days since we planted, but already the plants are perking up in their new habitats.  Once the sun comes out they should really start to fill in.  
My other big purchase for the back deck this year: a new, blue Adirondack chair.   I can't wait for some more summery days to enjoy my flowery surroundings!  

No comments:

Post a Comment