Sunday, April 20, 2008

Holy Moly, Guacamole


Everyone has heard that the way to man's heart is through his stomach, but did you know the same is actually true of his family?  During Nate's family's recent visit, I made my signature guacamole in the morning, on the last full day of their visit, and put it in the refrigerator for later.  That night, they came home at 11 from seeing a musical, and called while they were on their way to say they were buying chips and beer because they've been wanting to eat my guacamole all day.  
The very first time I visited their home in Buffalo, I made this guacamole which, at the time, was about the only thing that I knew how to "cook."  At a time when the whole family took little notice of me, and still possibly carried a torch for Nate's ex, I managed to solidify a spot in their lives by way of my guacamole.  And this did 2 things: 
1. showed that I know my way around a kitchen (or created the illusion that I did - I have since figured out how to cook many more foods).  and
2. established me in their minds as the "guacamole girl."  While this may not sound all that appealing of a title, it did the trick.  Before long, there were avocados waiting for me when I got to their house.  The first christmas that Nate and I were together, Nate's mom gave me some kind of kitchen tool used to remove the insides of an avocado from the skin.  
The moral of the story is: to make a great impression, learn to cook one thing well.  Even if it's the only thing you know how to do, it will pave the way for a relationship with a boy and his family.  

2 comments:

  1. my MIL wold probably be offended if I made something really good and brought to her house. She has this need to be "Martha Stewart"

    my guac always turns brown, even though I use lime juice.

    I found your blog while looking for a few good blog to read. I'm new here and am finding my way around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a good way to keep your guac from going brown (and I think martha stewart is where I got this idea from) is if you take saran wrap and pack it right on top of the guacamole, inside the dish. It's the air touching the avocado that makes it brown, and if you manage to get all the air pockets out it stays pretty green. I rarely use lime juice in my guacamole - I don't tend to like the acid-y flavor, though I don't mind it when other people put lime juice in.

    ReplyDelete