Monday, March 14, 2011

Bacon-Fest Upset

Last week, Ruthie emailed me with an exciting prospect: a way to win free tickets to the upcoming BaconFest.  The person with the best poem about bacon would win 2 tickets to the beloved event.  Ruthie and I sat down and quickly scrawled off some inspired verses.  Here is what we came up with:

Ode to an unorthodox sandwich
by Ruthie

When I request my meal,
The waiter may gasp,
As my fellow diners grasp
The extent of my zeal.

Veggie burger with bacon?
I ask with a grin.
For it is no sin
To make a veggie burger non-vegetarian.

The delectable bacon grease
Seeps into the faux meat.
And the saltiness, can’t beat
That crunch as my teeth bite off a piece.

Beans and rice
Formed into a patty
Just cries out for a little fatty
Pork belly slice.






Ode to Bacon
by Wicky
I love you on a BLT
Especially if you’re a wee bit crispy.
Or simply with some runny eggs,
After a night with many kegs.
Or drizzled with a bit of syrup,
Is enough to make me chirrup.
I love you in a bowl of popcorn:
My favorite snack on a winter’s morn.
I love you in a bloody mary;
It never leaves me quite contrary.
I love you in a chocolate bar,
Even though that sounds quite bizarre.  
Hissing, spurting, on my griddle,
Adding girth to my dear middle.
I’ve dabbled with a couple sausage,
But found them all too average
Because you’re what makes my jaw start achin’
And me drool, anticipatin’
All my love:
A strip of bacon. 

I will let you, dear readers, judge for yourselves.  Here is the link to the 6 finalists.  I have not yet had the heart to read through them.  I'm sure they are all worthy in their own right.  But Ruthie and I have started planning our own alternative bacon-fest.  Whatever/whenever it is, it will surely be a sizzling good time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment