Sunday, March 21, 2010

First Day of Spring in Chicago

            After a week of mid 60's (slash lower 70's) temps in beautiful Chicago, spring rolled in like a polar bear.  On an iceberg.  Eating a snow cone.
            I had a lovely Saturday planned and reserved - a trip to the Field Museum to finally see the Diamond Exhibit (it ends next weekend), dinner at the Chicago Firehouse Steakhouse, then walking 1 1/2 miles north to the CSO to hear and see Mitsuko Uchida conduct the orchestra and perform 2 Mozart Piano Concertos.  The first time Nate and I went to the CSO back in 2006, we heard Uchida perform a Mozart Chamber piece, as well as a piano concerto, so we were very excited to hear her play again.  And I cannot wait to tell my students how low she bows - she almost gets her head down to the floor.
            Anyway, the lovely Saturday went off without a hitch, save for the weather.  Our walk from the Field Museum to the Steakhouse was luckily not too far, but the sights chilled us a bit.  I suppose our Chicago statues are quite used to the cold winters, but they still made me feel extra freezing.
            The walk from the Steakhouse to the CSO was much more grueling.  Although our bellies were full of warm, delicious food, they weighed us down and made the whole walk seem so much longer.
            Now, Sunday night, we're home after a matinee showing of A Single Man - Colin Firth was great, and the visuals throughout were amazing.  It's time for me to really get going on a new quilt I'm working on for a friend who's getting married in just over a month.  It's a jelly roll quilt made from Amy Butler Love fabric (plus a few extras).  I keep saying that once I get going on it, it'll come together really quickly.  I suppose if that's going to be true, I'd better get a move on!

No comments:

Post a Comment