Friday, June 22, 2012

First (full) day of Summer Strawberry Sauce

Last night, I made dinner for my boyfriend.  Since most of the time we've been dating, I've been way too busy with school to cook anything more than macaroni and cheese, he seems to think this is a big deal or something.  It was really easy, however, and the easiest part was what I made for dessert: strawberry sauce (to put on vanilla ice cream).  

This recipe is from a Sheila Lukins cookbook, which is one of my old standbys.  
It calls for:
3 cups fresh ripe strawberries, rinsed, drained and cut up/quartered.
2 cups of sugar
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice.

~Combine all ingredients in a 4 quart microwave safe dish mine was actually only 2 quarts and worked just fine
~Cook uncovered in the microwave on high power for 10 minutes.  this time was dependent on a microwave of 700 watts; my microwave is 1100 watts, so I decreased the time to 6 minutes
~Remove and stir, then put back in the microwave for 5 more minutes I put it in for 4 minutes
~Cool completely before pouring into containers and storing in the refrigerator.  Can be kept, refrigerated for up to one month.  

combine ingredients

mix ingredients

enjoy hot strawberry sauce.  enjoy it more once it's cooled down.


This is great for a cool, summer sundae, although we added hot fudge.  

The dinner I cooked to lead up to this dish was cornbread (also a recipe from Sheila Lukins), broccoli, and Barbecue Apricot Pork Chops.  This is one of my favorite recipes from Real Simple a number of years ago.  It is originally for chicken, but I've tried it with a few different meats, just be mindful of how the cooking time may change.  

No comments:

Post a Comment