Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th of July weekend

I was surprised, at first, that so many people had Friday off from work, but we Americans love our 3-day weekends, so what better way to celebrate Independence Day than take a non-holiday off from work. Of course, I had the day off anyway, so I went downtown to have lunch with Jess (after finishing her 82 hour work-week) and to pick up a Cubs jacket at the American Girl Doll store. Nate got me 1 jacket off of Ebay for my birthday (at Wrigley Field, they have 1 night each year when they give out these jackets to all the girls 13 and under and I've always wanted one for my dolls) and it came with a coupon for a 2nd on at the store downtown. My dolls are back in CT right now, but next time I see them they will be looking sporty and sassy!
Friday evening we were treated to the 4th(?) annual 3rd of July party at our friend Dan's apartment. His roof-deck looks right out onto the Wrigley Field bleachers sign. It was a perfect night for a party and we even got to see a few fireworks.
Saturday was dreary and drizzly so we stayed home during the day. I made crab dip and Nate the Great made a cherry pie (crust from scratch - he puts me to shame). The weather cleared up by the evening, luckily, so we went up to Edgewater for a party at Bob and Magda's.
In addition to the foods we brought for the party, we enjoyed some pigs in a blanket, deviled eggs, and a magnificent chocolate roulade which is Magda's specialty. After eating plenty of food, we all made our way down to the beach (25 yards from their apartment) where we were able to see south down the lake-shore, all the way to downtown. We could see probably 4 different fireworks shows simultaneously. Though rather cold and wet, it ended up being a wonderful 4th of July.
Sunday, however, was sunny and warm, so Nate and I packed our
bikes in the car and drove up to the Northern branch of the Chicago Forest Preserve trails. We rode up to the Chicago Botanic Garden (I stupidly didn't bring my camera) and soaked up the scenery with plenty of other cyclists and picnickers.

No comments:

Post a Comment